Saturday, May 12, 2007

Pisa

Sublimely ridiculous.
That pretty much is how I'd describe the leaning tower and it's surrounding environment - I spent a good while just sitting on the grass watching it. And the people posing around it. Briliant.
There is something about that tower that I love. I'm not sure whether it's the fact people continued to build it taller despite it leaning, tried to correct it and inevitably made it lean in the opposite direction and then topped it all off with a tilted 'hat' at the top to balance it up or perhaps it's the habit that Italians seem to have of beginning a project with one material in one style and finishing with something completely different... but it's great.

Then I visited the Duomo and Baptistry which are next door. I wasn't that impressed until I listened to the commentry - and I would put money on it being Sybil from Fawlty Towers or one of the Python girls reading a rough interpretation of the Italian description very quickly. And just so you'd realise when it was over, she finished with a 'end of description'. What more could you ask for.

Anyway, I'm off to wander around the town a little bit more.

No comments: