Sunday, May 13, 2007

Uffitzi

I'm having a lot of problems with these computers - they like to do random punctuation, I can't attach my memory stick and they wont accept CD's so I have no idea if if the 5 euros I just spent were actually buying a disk with my photos on it or a table coaster...

Anyway, went to the Uffitzi today which is THE museum in Florence (apparently). And it was free because it's culture week or something so woo hoo. Spent three hours there - well worth the money :o)
It's got over 50 rooms dedicated to various artists, periods and styles... Caravaggio, Raphael, Botticelli... it was pretty amazing. It's home to the 'Birth of Venus' (the one with the naked chick standing on a shell) and some other classics as well as the scariest medusa head I've ever seen.

Then I finished my book on Hadrian, had some vegetables for lunch and proceeded to get completely lost. Eventually (after two hours) I managed to find my way home. All in all I'd call today a sucess. Except that it's only 3:30 but that's the problem when you wake up at 6:30 to visit an art gallery. Maybe it's time for a quick siesta and then I'll once again resume my endless search for a cheap, decent place to eat in Florence. Then it's off to Perugia tommorrow.

No comments: