Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Where the buffalo Rome (ok, that's stretching it...)

Suggestions gladly taken for new titles - you'd think after working with Allen and Jamos for so long I'd have puns coming out of of my ears but apparently not...

The good news is I've finally reached that point when I know whether I'm paying too much for food. The bad news is that I've worked it out through endless trial and error and now have €6 left. But never fear, my bankcard is here and I only withdrew enough for Rome anyways so I think I've done pretty well budget wise.

I spent most of yesterday wandering around the streets, looking for the Trevi Fountain (and failing miserably) and had planned to visit the Vatican today... except being the 1st of May, it's a national holiday in Italy and most of Europe. So it's not open. Instead, for a change, I spent the day wandering the streets, looking for the Trevi Fountain... and this time I found it :o)
I've tried to upload photos but it's not working here for some reason so keep an eye on this space and I'll try again later...

I also had lunch at this great little place where they spoke no English and we somehow muddled our way through conversations. People keep apologising for their bad English but it's much better than my pathetic Italian.

I've also started to realise that I'm not going to be able to visit everywhere I want to go - particularly the Amalfi coast, the Abruzzi Nat. Park and the deep south... it's going to be a stretch anyway so I'm thinking I'll come back for a second swing during winter, when I'll be glad to be around the mediterranian.

Long post. Am missing everyone a bit - haven't met any Australians in Italy yet, I'm sure they're around somewhere... but thats all good - had a great chat with a Argentian and Mexican y'day, with the Mexican interpreting for us both.

Hope you're all safe and happy. I'm heading to Napoli tommorrow (which is near Pompeii and Capri, south of Rome) so will write again from there.

No comments: