Tuesday, April 24, 2007

London

Well, I survived the plane trip (despite a few bumpy moments over Thailand and being seated next to two honeymooners for the first 9 hours) and I even managed to catch a few hours sleep on the plane. Although now it's only 11:30am and I feel like i've been up for hours - and i can't sleep 'cause my room isn't ready yet.... meh.

I'm staying right near St Pauls Cathedral. Apparently the guy who was commissioned to build it was a little bit whay, little bit dodgy... Story goes that the bishops vetoed his first three designs so he tried a much more conservative design which the King then approved. Once they started building, he persuaded the King to add 'necessary alterations' and the end product bears very little similarity to what the King initally approved. Yet another example of what can happen once you get your foot in the door.
I'm going to try and get in this evening for the choir performance (which is free, as opposed to the 9 pound tour) - might wander down to the Tate museum as well and the Globe - despite studying Shakespeare at University level I've never actually seen it performed live (half hour school visits from the Bell Shakespeare Company don't count).

So basically I arrived safe and sound. Will post a few photos once I actually take them.

No comments: